mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 'John Green',  'David Levithan' I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did. I don't know if I have a weird love of stories of angsty gay boys (like Zachary in C.R.A.Z.Y. and Toby in Transamerica) but this book made me smile ridiculously (during a set-up for a date, a date, a moment at a dugout, a PLAY), as well as punched me in the gut when will finds out that isaac isn't real (I was thinking no no no no NO NO NO along with him) and that is why I think it was such an amazing book. Both Will and will took some chapters to get used to. At the beginning Will just seems like a self-deprecating guy who's sole purpose is to be the sarcastic sidekick to a larger than life personality, and will is an introvert with a dark sense of humour and no small amount of anger both at himself and the world around him. However, as I kept reading, I began to start rooting for both characters to learn their own "life lessons" and grow as people. I found that at times I both loved and hated every character, and it's these flaws that make each of them so real.

Do some things just work out in a rom-com kind of way? Yes. Is there some suspension of belief necessary when things happen that probably wouldn't in a million years in real life? Yes. But this is fiction, and it's the overall story and characters' journeys that are important.

This is also a hugely hilarious book, and a beautiful story about friendship. Loved it.

------
Some additional notes from reading this for the second time:

I did love it as much as the first time I read it. Both characters start off as supremely unemotional, but as soon as they begin to admit to themselves the truth of their own feelings, you're experiencing their highs and lows right along with them. I do have to say, though, that while I did really like Will Grayson, I loved will grayson and his journey.