mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine [b:Lolita|7604|Lolita|Vladimir Nabokov|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327871906s/7604.jpg|1268631] is a book of mixed feelings. Sympathy for the devil to the nth degree. Going into it, I obviously knew that it was about a pedophile, yet I endeavoured to read it since it is still appreciated as a classic. From the get-go, Humbert Humbert proves to be a charismatic and engaging character. The novel is told as his confession for his actions and with every word he entrances and seduces with a poetic usage of language - you can't help but be taken in with his side of this twisted love story. Was I convinced? To a certain degree. Humbert is obsessed for sure, and I feel that Lolita initially revelled in her power to incite him to do or buy things for her. She probably thought herself happy for a short while. And Humbert paints his desires as an affliction of sorts, and something he can't get away from. It's understandable in the way that you can't help being homosexual or liking the colour blue... almost. I can never really shake off the horror and complete wrongness that I feel while reading.

The writing in this book is both beautiful and entertaining, but I found the story to drag a bit (though this can be a note on Humbert's character trying but not truly succeeding in being a masterful storyteller). The prose could also be distracting at times, and I actually skimmed parts toward the end of the book.

This is a book that I would recommend if only to open your views and discuss your reaction: Does Humbert convince you?