mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card Is all fair in love and war? Do the ends justify the means?

I'm reviewing this after also having read [b:Ender's Shadow|9532|Ender's Shadow (Shadow, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352781471s/9532.jpg|3145587], and I have to say that reading the latter just made me like this one more. While the first of the above sayings doesn't really go with this book (as there is no romantic plot), what I found compelling and tragic about this novel is the willingness of adults to break the innocence of a child to save humanity. Ender's journey is reminiscent of Harry Potter's as Dumbledore the Chessmaster worked to mentor him an manipulate the situations around him to prepare him for an ultimate goal. I found the effects of Ender's isolationism and his eventual development and understanding of leadership to be truly fascinating.

A couple of low points - the narration can be a little dry at times, the descriptions of the battles weren't too clear (I could never really picture what exactly was going on but the upcoming movie will probably help with that), and the ending with the adoption of the Speaker for the Dead religion felt slightly odd and didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book. But overall, a great read.