mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

We'll Always Have Summer - Jenny Han I absolutely HATE this last book. Not that the writing got worse, or I didn't get the ending that I was rooting for (because I did!), but I felt that the entire book was so contrived for the reader to only be able to come to the one conclusion.

What happened to Jeremiah? He's such a sweetie in the first two books, and in this one he comes off a such an ass with multiple highlighted flaws. Now, I know that people can change after two years, but it just felt like the author was trying so hard to make him unlikable for the entire book that I had a hard time remembering why I rooted for him at all previously.

I'm disappointed that we didn't get more resolution and explanation for Conrad's actions in the previous books. Sure, we get a look inside his head, and he seems to have had always held a torch for Belly that he never lost, but I wish that we got actual reasoning behind the "prom incident" or the "funeral incident" or just his constant hot/cold flashes other than it being chalked up to him "being angry" and "promises to his mother on her deathbed". I could see that he'd matured greatly from the previous books, however. He was a lot less broody in this book. Yet, every positive I saw in him here felt a bit tainted because it felt like the author was just constantly showing the good sides of him to compare to the assedness of his brother.

Now, the wedding. Gahh this entire book was about a stupid wedding that was obviously a horrible idea. I mean, the entire time, everyone was asking Belly, "Why now?" and she never had a good reason. Hello, Belly? That was probably a sign. I mean, do you want to tell your grandkids one day, "Well, your grandfather cheated on me while on spring break, but then he felt really bad about it, so he realized that he wanted to be with me forever and proposed." Yeah... great story. Plus, your getting engaged will forever be tainted with that memory. Unfortunately, the entire book was about planning and preparing for the worst wedding ever which killed a lot of the book's appeal for me because it was just, well, stupid.