mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Ellen Forney, Sherman Alexie What do I know about the life of a reserve Indian? Here's a big fat nada to answer that question. So this book is a both a funny and heartbreaking view into this world.

Junior explains his predicament in a fairly straight-forward and honest way, if tending towards blending the harshness with a screen of humour. It can be seen as a sort of survivor's technique and coping mechanism, because how else can you escape the depression and hopelessness that blankets the inhabitants of a reservation? Taking the things he says at face-value, like the rampant alcoholism and surety of living your whole life where you were born can really break your heart. But Junior brings a lightness with detailed and exaggerated drawings about his observations of the people and situations surrounding him.

This is a book that everyone should read: come to open your eyes and learn a couple things, stay for the laughs, the tears and the story.