mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

The Scorch Trials - James Dashner If you thought that [b:The Maze Runner|6186357|The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)|James Dashner|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369690691s/6186357.jpg|6366642] was endlessly frustrating, you haven't read this book. THERE ARE NO ANSWERS GIVEN TO ANYTHING. And that's the pull-your-hair-out-want-to-bash-something-with-a-frying-pan feeling you get when reaching the end of this book. Auughghghghhhgghhhhhh!

This better end well. And I better frickin LOVE the explanations to everything... *cracks knuckles*

And it started off so well! This book kicks off with a bit more structure to it. You're given a goal and an endgame. You think you know what's to come. Plus, some of the characters were actually starting to show personality! And then... everything is thrown into a blender, chopped to fine pieces and then dumped out and gleefully scattered into a tornado.

This book is like going through a Trial in itself. (The author's intention...? Arghh no! I refuse to give him that much credit - I'm too mad at him at this point.)

*attempts to end rant and think rationally*

I have a theory about this book - it tests your faith. There's a conversation between Thomas and Newt early on where Newt describes being part of the initial group in the maze.

"I guess back then we all just had a sense that there was obviously a purpose to us having been sent there... We’re obviously here for a buggin’ purpose. We’ll figure it out eventually."

These kids are striding on not knowing the reasoning or intention behind every horrifying or tragic occurrence. These kids are starved, dehydrated, killed off randomly, caused to turn against one another, generally mindfcked, and given the vague explanation that this all is to "save the human race." Oh, and by the way? The people doing this to you? We're the good guys. What do you do in this type of situation? What can you do?

I don't know. At this point, I'd happily drop a bomb on WICKED and dance on their grave, then welcome the Flare with open arms. Well ok, maybe not really. I still want to know the reasoning behind all of this. But like I said before... it BETTER be good.