mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout While reading this book: Hey this sounds familiar. Wow, there is SO MUCH similarities to Twilight. Did the author know she's putting in all these similarities? Hey look, a Twilight reference! Hmm actually this is pretty funny. Ok I'm pretty hooked.

All Twilight similarities aside, I finished this book actually liking it. And the main reason? The main character, Katy. She's pretty awesome, and has spunk and backbone, unlike another certain just-moved-to-a-small-town-girl. Though one of the main distractions throughout reading this book was just HOW similar this book was to Twilight, and I can't really give the author many points for originality, I gotta say that she gets some great one-ups for execution. There was one cafeteria scene where all I could think of was, WWBD after being completely humiliated by Ash and Daemon? I was seriously picturing in my head, "Bella flushed deep scarlet, turned and hurried away, but not before turning back and getting caught in Edward's golden eyes, causing her to trip over her feet and bite her lip in frustration." I literally laughed out loud in happy surprise when Katy got mad and dumped her spaghetti on their heads - go her! There are some great characters in this book (Katy, Daemon, Dee, Lesa and Carissa, Katy's mom), fight scenes, interesting backstory on the alien's origins & powers, and really funny dialogue. The romance isn't insta-love (though it's insta-lust), and the relationship develops in a realistic and entertaining way.

A great light read.