mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Spirit - Brigid Kemmerer I can see why Hunter and Gabriel get on so well. They are a couple of emotional-hot-mess adrenaline junkies, aren't they? It's funny, from the previous two books, I had an image in my head of Hunter being the stoic military man, with some hippyish new-age tendancies (the rock bracelets, and all), so I kind of forgot about all the tattoos and piercings. I actually had to go back to [b:Storm|10401084|Storm (Elemental, #1)|Brigid Kemmerer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1325995724s/10401084.jpg|15305022] to find the initial description of him:

The new kid was a lot to look at. He’d certainly crossed that line from boy to young man, with a defined jaw, high cheekbones, lean, muscled arms, and not an ounce of baby fat—all pros. Sandy blond hair drifted across his forehead, broken by a clean streak of white, right in the center of his bangs.
Who dyes their hair white? she wondered.
But it didn’t stop there: One ear had piercings all the way up. The other only sported two—the same number in his left eyebrow. Green eyes matched the tee shirt he wore, staring unflinchingly at the students watching him. His black jeans hung loose, suspended by a chafed leather belt. About fifteen bracelets encircled one arm, crude loops of twine that each held a small rock of a different color. He had a few small tattoos on his forearms, and one on the side of his neck.

Whoa, I totally missed that. Anyways, in this book, Hunter has alienated himself from everyone, and feels like the world hates him. Plus, his home situation? Aghhhh, they pissed me off so bad. But this book reminded me that, well, Hunter is still pretty much a kid. He's sixteen (or something?) and even though he's independent and disciplined, he still has teenage-boy anxieties. His scenes with Michael emphasize this.

But this series just keeps getting better, and is venturing into character love territory. More for the boys of the series than the girls for now, but I think this could get better as the series goes along.

Plus, holy shit, Kemmerer actually killed off one of the narrators? Damnnn. But, poor Hunter. Let me give you a hug.

Gabriel, you're still my favourite.