mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Stick - Andrew  Smith My second Andrew Smith after [b:In the Path of Falling Objects|6064034|In the Path of Falling Objects|Andrew Smith|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317793301s/6064034.jpg|6240329], and though he can write well and I can never guess what's about to happen in his stories, I think that his writing just doesn't strike a chord with me. While ITPOFO was mostly narrated by the older brother, Stick is told from the point of view of the younger brother, but both books hold their relationships at the core of their stories.

Reading these two books made me a bit curious about the author. Both books feature brothers and main characters who will try to do the right thing in morally grey situations, and have a sense of goodness at their core, but suffer under other people who are just that human sort of evil - the types that like to control and manipulate and abuse people under them because they can. The two books are based in reality, but have a sense of horror to them, and I constantly carried a sense of dread as to what would happen to the characters in his books. I found a Q&A article online and learned that Smith had been kidnapped when he was young, and he writes his books for himself and doesn't try to fit his stories into the YA "box". And I can kind of see that in his writing. There's a bit of just telling the story from the narrator's point of view to tell the story, maybe as a kind of therapeutic release, and there is a bit of a lack of resolution or explanation to things that leave me dissatisfied. But maybe this will have the [a:Courtney Summers|1487748|Courtney Summers|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1355950434p2/1487748.jpg] effect of soon drawing me in and getting me addicted to this peculiar world.