mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Some Girls Are - Courtney Summers If you want to believe that the world is a nice place where people have a strong sense of decency at their core, you probably want to avoid [a:Courtney Summers|1487748|Courtney Summers|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1355950434p2/1487748.jpg] books. If you're already disillusioned, or just at a place where the thought of failed humanity doesn't depress you, then here's a roller coaster for you.

This book didn't break my spirit as much as [b:This Is Not a Test|12043771|This is Not a Test|Courtney Summers|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1314375864s/12043771.jpg|17010494] did, and so I liked it better. But man, Mean Girls was a comedy and full of ridiculousness; the mean girls in this book are calculating and cruel. The protagonist in this novel, Regina, is the Gretchen Wieners of the Fearsome Fivesome. She's the second-in-command, the best friend to the Queen, the Enforcer to Anna's Big Bad. That is, until she's accused of sleeping with Anna's boyfriend, is ostracized by the group, and soon the object of intense bullying. This reminds me of what the main character went through in Cyberbully, though obviously that's a Family Movie, and here Summers delivers a story that is darker and more raw. But Regina isn't the paragon of innocence and generosity herself, so the story takes you through her struggles to survive in her post-Fearsome Fivesome world, as well as her attempts to recreate a new identity for herself and maybe make amends for her past actions.

This was a really good book, and had me hooked from start to finish. I appreciate Summers's willingness to show the darker sides of human nature, even though it kills me a little inside. I'm warming to her storytelling, however, and so I think I will continue on to check out her other works.