mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Suicide Notes - Michael Thomas Ford There is such an honesty to this book and the character of Jeff that makes it really enjoyable to read. Who knew that a book about a post-suicide teen could be so hilarious and heartbreaking?

There is so much to love about this book, and Jeff is one of my favourite protagonists ever. He's just so sarcastic and a fan of pushing buttons, and I also loved that he had a close relationship with his sister, who shares his sense of humour (when asked about him possibly coming home after his suicide attempt, she says "If you do it again, can I have your room?")

There are a lot of twists as Jeff tells his story, and I could never be quite sure whether or not I could trust him. Is he being honest? Is he using sarcasm as a defense mechanism? Is he in denial? Even during the scenes with Rankin, I didn't know what to think. Is he being molested? Is he secretly gay? It's only at the end that the truth is revealed and you learn what really happened ( And it really broke my heart when Burke rejected him ). I only wish that characters were fleshed out a bit more, but overall I would highly recommend this book.