mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Ender's Shadow - Orson Scott Card While still pretty good, I was disappointed to not like this novel as much as [b:Ender's Game|375802|Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316636769s/375802.jpg|2422333], largely due to the fact that Bean turned out to be a far less sympathetic and likeable character than Ender. In Ender's Game, he was actually my second favourite character - the small and snarky, yet obviously highly intelligent second-in-command to Ender. Ender's Shadow revealed him to be the brilliant strategist as I expected, but to also have a superiority complex and arrogance that I didn't expect, and I was a bit surprised and turned off by how calculating all his actions and responses were. While Ender was the boy who was able to adapt and outsmart the adults in Battle School, Bean was manipulating the teachers themselves, then getting angry when he wasn't openly praised and admired for doing so. Is it a bad sign if I was happy every time Bean got a wake-up call when something didn't go his way?

This book was still an interesting look into things that happened in the background during Ender's Game, though.