mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken I didn't hate this book. But after reading it, I just wanted everyone who liked the world-building to GO READ [b:Unwind|764347|Unwind (Unwind, #1)|Neal Shusterman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1297677706s/764347.jpg|750423] NOW to see what a true horrifying yet plausible government vs. kids world would be like. There's just so many frustrations that I have with the world that Bracken has created, that I would classify this book as Good If You're Just Here For The Adventure And Don't Think Too Much About Things Outside of That. Because it's an awesome idea. A world where kids have suddenly developed super powers out of no where and adults don't know how to handle it? Parents scared of their children? Governments reacting by rounding them all up to send to camps to protect the general population? There are so many awesomely complex questions and motivations that could stem from this sort of world. And this book.. falls short of my expectations because I wanted more. I wanted to gain some understanding from all the sides, and that didn't happen here. There's so much "But why is this organization they doing that? Wouldn't it make more sense if they did this instead?" and Evilz for the Sake of Evilz in this book, that it's pretty disappointing.

But like I said, that's not to say that I hated the book. The characters were interesting. Ruby, as a protagonist, could be frustrating in her way of not revealing or explaining things as they happened, but I guess I eventually took her view as a form of unreliable narrating and went along with the story. The depiction of friendships and the love and caring in the small band-of-misfits Liam-Chubs-Zu family was sweet and felt genuine. The slow and not over-encompassing romance is cute.

My favourite part of this book was Chubs. Oh almost-blind, suspicious, untrusting, argumentative, loyal, immature, dreams-of-food, pats-people-on-the-head-to-show-affection, uncomfortable-in-large-groups and loves-books Chubs, you are awesome. He was one of the few characters that reacted to situations how I thought people should. He was the realist, the suspicious one in a world where you should be questioning people's motivations for what they do, and the one to think logically. His slow-building trust and friendship with Ruby is one of the best parts of the book.

So I MIGHT continue on with these books, just because I liked the characters and want to see what happens to them next. I only hope that the next book would decide whether society is still functioning or not, because I can't read any more vague and throwaway comments about the US's "economic crashes" and "tent cities outside DC" or whatever in a world where there are still Waffle Houses and motels to break into and Internet.