mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Hunting Lila - Sarah Alderson Honestly? I would've liked this book so much more if all the characters you cared about hadn't turned out to be "the good guys". The build-up to the mystery was fantastic, though you could guess that what JackAlex's Unit were up to would have something to do with Lila's telepathic power. This book was kind of like a book set in the Heroes (TV show) world. And that show was awesome (at least the first season, and most of the second before it got too unrealistic). While I didn't LOVE any of the major characters, I did love their relationships (brother-sister-love, bro-love) and Lila's huge crush on Alex was cute. I guessed that Alex would turn out to like Lila back, because this IS ya, but their relationship was mostly meh for me. What I wanted to get down to was the Unit-Demos-secret superpower mystery and the awesome adventures we'd have with this story. Did I tense up when Demos et al. appeared and forced JackAlex to break their people out of the Unit's containment if they wanted Lila back? Yes. I was like OH, SHIT'S GONNA GO DOWN. I was all ready for the manipulation of an evil mastermind, and the internal and external battles that would ensue. But then he turned out to be GOOD?? I was like UGH NOOO! I wouldn't have minded this much, if we (as readers) had developed a bond with the Unit that would've created the emotional conflict for us. We had this second-hand through the loyalty of JackAlex to their teams, but this wasn't a lot, and both of them changed their opinions pretty quickly. So unfortunately, this book became too GOOD SIDE/BAD SIDE for me (though it did reverse) for me to like it that much, to my greatest disappointment.