mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

What They Always Tell Us - Martin  Wilson This is a really simple and quiet story, but one that touched my heart and hit home in a lot of ways. A lot of Alex's story was painfully familiar, in his loneliness, his awkwardness, and his sense of always feeling like the odd one out in a group. There's more to feeling like a misfit than not liking the same things as other people, and it can feel like something deeper, like you're just not on the same wavelength as everyone else, or that being a part of the group just doesn't come as easily to you as it seems to with others. James' story is one that grew on me. While at first coming across as the uncaring older brother who has everything going for him, he and Alex warily fumble towards repairing their trust and friendship that they had when they were younger, and before the "Pine-Sol incident".

So the story may leave some unresolved questions, and maybe the minor characters aren't fully developed, but really, I don't care. The emotion is real, this story gave me all the feels, it spoke to something inside me, and left me with hope.