mandafofanda

Mandafofanda Reads Lots

The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no?

And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no?
Doesn't that make life a story?

- Yann Martel, Life of Pi

The Ruining - Anna Collomore This is a bit of a struggle to review, because I wished it was better than it was. I also quickly read [b:The Yellow Wallpaper|286957|The Yellow Wallpaper|Charlotte Perkins Gilman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351778524s/286957.jpg|17352354] to know the inspiration for this book and have a comparison, and unfortunately [b:The Ruining|15715847|The Ruining|Anna Collomore|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349214469s/15715847.jpg|21385514] falls short of the former's tense and (what I feel) would be a more accurate depiction of a woman's descent into madness.

This isn't to say that this was a horrible book. I just wish the writing was better, and the characters' (mostly Libby's) motivations less shaky. I didn't hate Annie's character at first. In fact, I thought that the author was telling a well-done cautionary tale of a woman that was a bit too naive, too trusting, too willing to isolate herself, and the dangers that could stem from such a situation. It was the descent into the "horror" and "madness" portion of the novel that I had a problem with. It just couldn't ring authentic for me. There were just moments that were supposed to be unnerving or hinting at unsettling, but seemed a bit too much of a calculation by the author, and times when Annie still seemed too randomly observant, analytic and aware for someone who's mind was fraying. I almost wished that the ending had switched to a third-person format to explain the mystery because I don't think that Annie should've been able to comprehend it at all.

So, a bit of a disappointment, because I really liked the idea of it.